Friday, September 30, 2011

Save Trees: Write a Great Cover Letter

From my interactions with several recruiters, I have come to understand that most cover letters are trashy. They quickly reveal that the prospective candidate has done very little work in putting the letter together. Thus, giving the recruiter no other option than to quickly trash the letter – this is not tree-saving. I am sorry if that sounds harsh. I am speaking from experience. I have had my cover letters trashed too. A little while ago, an Illinois MBA Alum offered to refer me to a very senior person in one my target companies. The Alum asked me to send him my resume and cover letter so he could forward it to this very senior person. “Sure” I said. So I quickly tweaked my “prototype cover letter” and sent it to the Alum. Below is a ‘copy and paste’ of the reply I got from the Alum.

Your cover letter is too general.  I could replace the company’s name with any company’s name and send it to 20 different places.  These are the types of cover letters that get thrown out.  You need to make it more company-specific.  Show that you’ve done your research in the company.  Visit the webpage link below and draw as much information from the website into your cover letter as possible.  You need to show them why you are a good fit and want to be a part of THEIR organization.  That is extremely important…..

As you can see, I have had my fair share of writing trashy cover letters. When I read the above email, I was startled but also really grateful. I was startled because I thought the response was sharp and very brisk. I was grateful because the comment came from an Illinois MBA Alum and was therefore a no-risk case. It then occurred to me that each time I send out a “thoughtless” cover letter, I am misrepresenting the Illinois MBA. Thus, I made a resolution to never send out a one-size-fits-all cover letter (and/or resume) again.

As I researched, I realized that writing a winning cover letter is not that difficult. It does, however, take going the extra mile to find out what the recruiting company wants, compare that with what you have to offer and structure your cover letter to reflect how much you fit the role/company. To write winning cover letters, you need to follow four simple rules:

  1. Customize your cover letter to a specific firm. Research the firms you are applying to via the internet or by attending company presentations. This gives you are very good idea of what the firm is looking for in an ideal candidate. You can then marry your strengths with the requirements of the company.
  2. Be aware of the nuances of the industry. For example, the consulting industry is a conservative industry hence; you should keep your cover letter simple and professional. On the other hand, if you are applying to an advertising company, you need to show some creativity in your writing.
  3. Proofread as many times as possible. Make sure your grammar and spelling are correct. Crosscheck for common mistakes like writing the name of a wrong firm. For example reading an application to Apple with a Microsoft name in it will automatically get your application discarded – no matter how qualified you are.
  4. Keep it simple and short. Brevity is the soul of wit but make sure you answer yes to the question “Would I preselect myself for an interview if I was the one reading this cover letter?” If you need to make your letter a little longer to prove how much you fit the company/role then do it.

My conclusion is that, a successful cover letter should make whoever reads it want to meet you. Keep it in mind that recruiters read tons of cover letters everyday. So write it right! Keep your cover letter out of the trash and save trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment